The ancient theater of Epidaurus is considered the finest ancient Greek theater in terms of acoustics and aesthetics. Located on the site of Asklepeion of Epidaurus near the village Lygourio.
The ancient theater was built between 340 BC and 330 BC by Argive architect Polykleitos the Younger as Pausanias says. The theater was built for the amusement of the patients of Asklepeion and as a remedy, because it was believed that the monitoring theater had beneficial effects on mental and physical health of patients. The ancient theater had a capacity of 13,000 spectators. It is divided into two parts. An upper part of 21 series of seats for the people and the lower part of 34 series of seats for the priests and rulers.
The ancient theater was discovered after excavations carried out by archaeologist P. Kavadias, under the auspices of the Athens Archaeological Society during the period 1870-1926.
A few years later, in 1938 staged the first performance at the ancient theater of Epidaurus. The play was the tragedy of Sophocles' Electra starring Katina Paxinou (Oscar nomination for "For whom the bells ring") and Helen Papadakis. The performances then stopped because of World War II. In the early 50's, the theater received restauration works to be able to accept large numbers of spectators and in 1955 inaugurated the Epidaurus Festival, which included performances at the ancient theater every summer. As part of the Epidaurus Festival Epidaurus have appeared on some of the greatest Greek and foreign actors and the famous Greek soprano Maria Callas.
(Translation from Wikipedia)