Towers of Calais

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Towers of Calais

From left to right The (old) lighthouse, former Hôtel-de-ville,(now the town hall and police offices) and Eglise Notre-Dame (Church).

The old part of the town, Calais proper (known as Calais-Nord), is situated on an artificial island surrounded by canals and harbours. The modern part of the town, St-Pierre, lies to the south and southeast. In the centre of the old town is the Place d'Armes, in which stands the former Hôtel-de-ville, now the town hall and police offices. The belfry belongs to the 16th and early 17th century. Close by is the Tour du Guet, or watch-tower, a structure dated to the 13th century which was used as a lighthouse until 1848 when a new lighthouse was built by the port. The church of Notre-Dame, built during the English occupancy of Calais, is arguably the only church built in the English perpendicular style in all of France. Today, Calais is visited by more than 10 million annually. Aside from being a key transport hub, Calais is also a notable fishing port and a centre for fish marketing and some 3000 people are still employed in the lace industry for which the town is also famed.

Show more
Show less
Save Cancel Want to use bold, italic, links?

Comments (2)

Nadia Kushnir on June 27, 2012

LIKE! Crossing the Strait La Manche?

dana ciszewska on July 7, 2012

Very good composition.L.Greetings.Dana

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on June 25, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Erik van den Ham

Groups