Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

A walk in Athens - Church of Panagia Kapnikareas

Kapnikarea Church or of Panagia Kapnikareas is Byzantine church dating from the 11th AD century and situated in the center of Athens, Ermou Street, the busiest street of the historic city center. The church is dedicated to of the Assumption and belongs to the University of Athens. The architectural style is Byzantine in cruciform with a dome. Reported to have been built in place of an older church which was built by Evdokia, Athenian wife of Emperor Theodosius of Small. The original church was built in turn (as customary) on the foundations of an ancient Greek temple, dedicated to a female goddess, probably Athena or Demeter. In the church building elements are incorporated as columns with Roman capitals and built sculptures and inscriptions. On the north side of the church has added pareklissi domed in memory of Saint Barbara. The name of the church is considered to be from the person who built it, who received a tax building during the Byzantine era, tobacco tax. Earliest Kamoucharea was called by the name of fabric interwoven with gold (kamouchas) which probably they made in laboratories in the region. During the period of Turkish rule named church and Prentzas. In 1834 AD project was the demolition of the temple which was not executed with the intervention of Louis of Bavaria, the father of Otto and Bishop Michael A. Athens

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on July 8, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Thanasis Germanos
    • Camera: NORITSU KOKI QSS-32_33
    • Taken on 2012/06/26 18:49:56