The megaron of the Academy of Athens is one of the parties to the "architecture trilogy," Museum (National Library) - University - Academy, designed in 1859 by Danish architect Theophilus Hansen (1813-1891), youngest brother of the architect Christian Hansen University . It is considered the most important work of Hansen, and one of the finest neoclassical buildings in the world. Inspired by the architect was the classical architecture of the Athenian fifth century, as portrayed in the monuments of the Acropolis. In particular Hansen took the Ionic elements that dominate the structure of the Academy of Erechtheiou masterpiece. In the sculptural and pictorial decoration of the palace summarized all the ancient Greek tradition, and both expressed the characteristics of the present and visions of Hellenism of the time. The execution of architectural projects Hansen was assigned to the to a student of architect Ernst Ziller (1837-1923). The pediment sculptures are the work of Leonidas Drosis. The Academy was built with generous donation by Simon Sina, work began in 1859 and 20 March 1887, the Ernst Ziller, as a representative of the heirs of Simon Sina, handed to the then Prime Minister Xarilaos Trikoupis
Sign in to comment.