Bai Pirojbai Dadabhoy Maneckji Vatcha Agiary,Mumbai 6/2012

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Vatcha Agiary: Located on D.N. Road (formerly Hornby Row), Vatcha Agiary is one of the most visible Parsi fire temples in town. The Parsis (or Parsees) are a small but rather prominent community of Zoroastrians originally from Persia (Iran). Known as successful businessmen and landowners, they have been living in Bombay since about the 17th century. Their contribution to the city, in terms of philanthropic work and architecture, is immeasurable and ranges from libraries (e.g. Petit Library) to hotels (e.g. Taj Mahal Palace) to public buildings (e.g. Crawford Market). The Agiary is officially called Bai Pirojbai Dadabhoy Maneckji Vatcha Agiary after Bai Pirojbai who built the temple in memory of her late husband Seth Dadabhoy Maneckji Vatcha. The interesting temple was built in 1881 and looks as though it mixes Art Déco with ancient Persian architectural styles, even before Art Déco existed. The two imposing winged creatures guarding the entrance resemble sculptures in Persepolis. Unfortunately, only members of the Parsi community are allowed inside the temple, but it is said to carry a fire that has been burning for 300 years.

Show more
Show less
Save Cancel Want to use bold, italic, links?

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on July 17, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by F. Zaman
    • Camera: Panasonic DMC-TZ10
    • Taken on 2012/06/14 19:06:22
    • Exposure: 0.033s (1/30)
    • Focal Length: 4.70mm
    • F/Stop: f/3.400
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups