This beautiful art deco structure served originally as Houston's first commercial Airport. Designed by archtitect Joseph Finger (who also designed Houston City Hall), it opened its doors in 1940 to be Houston's only Airport until 1954. However, it was subsequently used by various tenants until 1978. The Houston Aviation Society and, from 1998 forward, the Houston Aeronautical Heritage Society saved the building, and it presently houses "The 1940 Air Terminal Museum". Every third Saturday of the month the public is invited to an open house, where, in addition to the aeronautical exhibitions, various vintage airplanes and automobiles are on display. A.T.