Ruins of Valdek Castle (just Valdek in Czech) can be found in the Central Bohemian Region of the Czech Republic, near the village of Komárov.
The name is probably derived from two German words: Wald (the forest) and Eck (a widespread part of places' names, meaning rock formation).
The castle was built around the middle of 13th century (first written mention comes from the year 1263) by an aristocratic family called Buzic. In 1623 it was described as abandoned. Passing centuries left only ruins, dominated by a still standing large round tower (bergfrit), built during the second half of the 13th century.
Several old myths and legends are associated with the ruins.
In the modern era
In 1926 the area around the castle became part of military training area Jince (vojenský výcvikový prostor Jince). The castle itself was still accessible (except during manoeuvres). After 1950 no access was allowed. After 1989 it became possible to visit the castle again but tourists were not allowed to stray from the road to the castle.
Source of this text: Wikipedia