Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Narinkkatori, Helsinki. View of Kamppi Chapel of Silence

Opened in spring 2012 at busy centre of Helsinki as a part of World Design Capital Helsinki 2012 program.

Not for church services or other holy events (baptizing or wedding ceremonies), but for silent moments and meetings.

Regular moments of prayer are planned to be held at the Chapel from the autumn 2102.

Designed by Kimmo Lintula, Niko Sirola and Mikko Summanen (K2S Architects Ltd)

"The most imposing space in the Chapel is the main hall with its height of 11.5 meters. In the quiet chapel area, the busy surroundings have been consciously blocked out. Present are the light coming indirectly from above and the warm feel of the materials. The inner walls of the chapel area are lined with common alder planks cut to shape. The simple furnishing of the hall are made of massive ash tree. The silver cross at the altar was sculpted by artist blacksmith Antti Nieminen. Liturgical textiles in the Chapel were designed by textile artist Tiina Uimonen. The facades are constructed of horizontal spruce strips, bent at different radiuses. The wood is glazed with a special wax utilizing nanotechnology. The frame is prepared of massive gluelam beams, which were cut to shape.."

KAMPPI CHAPEL OF SILENCE

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on August 14, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Nadja Zhukova
    • Camera: NIKON COOLPIX S9100
    • Taken on 2012/08/12 15:33:08
    • Exposure: 0.001s (1/1000)
    • Focal Length: 4.50mm
    • F/Stop: f/3.500
    • ISO Speed: ISO160
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash