Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Venetian castle - Skopelos 1991(ZENIT- E film 35mm)

VIDEO 1 - VIDEO 2 Mamma Mia

In place Episkopi, two kilometers south of the town of Skopelos, was the seat of the bishop of the island for palaiochristian period and newer years. The complex of Episkopi in its present form is a Venetian building. In the center lies a small single-nave church of the 16th - 17th century, built on the ruins of large Trikliti middle Byzantine basilica. The basilica, in accordance with marble inscription, was built, probably in place earlier, the bishop of the city and Anastassios inaugurated in the year 1078. Today's church is surrounded by impressive stone wall, which is the eastern side of the wall incorporated large and imposing building fortress. This wall is probably the front of the episcopal palace, which began to be built during the Venetian and unknown why it remained unfinished probably because of the raid of the pirate Barbarossa in 1538. On the wall opened two rows of windows and lots of loopholes, while in the center of the upper floor held the stone corbels (columns) balcony - balcony with carved animal figures. In the diocese which was excavation revealed many archaeological findings.

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on August 14, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Thanasis Germanos
    • Taken on 2012/06/24 17:01:05