This is one of the most famous and daunting in the world, apparently! It has a chequered history which moves from a Wooden Motte & Bailey castle by William the Conqueror to a massive stone fortress. The castle was defended by the River Avon on the south side and deep ditches on all other sides. William the Conqueror used enforced Anglo-Saxon labour to build the castle and the wooden castle was replaced by a fortified stone castle in 1260. The two main round towers were built at the front of the castle and the chapel and large hall were built against the south wall. Various additions were added as time passed, Guys Tower and Caesar's Tower were added at the end of the fourteenth century. The purpose of the castle was: To act as a fortified post; to provide a base where men, provisions and horses could be housed; to overawe and frighten the indigenous population; to provide a site from which the Normans could govern the surrounding district; to act as a royal power base; and finally as a prison.
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Photo taken in Warwick, UK
Misplaced? Suggest new location