The Collegiate Church of St Mary, Warwick.

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (1)

G Lokey on August 21, 2012

Viewed from Guys Tower, Warwick Castle, this church has the status of collegiate church as it had a college of secular canons, the clergy not the guns! The church foundations date back nearly 900 years being created by Roger de Beaumont, 2nd Earl of Warwick in 1123. In addition to founding the church he established the college of Deans and Canons at the church. The crypt is now the only surviving part of the Norman church he built. The church, along with much of Warwick, was devastated by the Great Fire of Warwick in 1694, the nave and tower being completely destroyed. In 1704 the church was rebuilt and completed in Gothic design by William Wilson. The tower rises to a height of 130 feet and the building is in a mostly classical style unlike the balustrades along the top of the building!

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on August 21, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by G Lokey
    • Camera: SONY DSC-H20
    • Taken on 2012/08/20 11:38:50
    • Exposure: 0.005s (1/200)
    • Focal Length: 11.20mm
    • F/Stop: f/8.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO80
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups