Right beside the aqueduct is this little quarry where stone was cut for the piers. Blocks have been sawn by hand from the outcrop and two or three more than were needed are scattered around or in place and not extracted - very expressive of the work undertaken here. In 1879 a contract was advertised and presumably awarded for the cartage of 60,000 board-feet of Kauri from Pukeuri Junction railway station 5.5 km over a dirt track up the stream bed to this site. That's roughly 150 cubic metres of timber that went into this structure - much of which will have been removed when the timber fluming was replaced with half-round steel in the 1940s - the half-round steel being in 12 foot (4 metre) lengths and very nearly fully half-round is to a large extent self-supporting.
To see what a fully timbered flume looked like see this photo;