Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Chadkirk Chapel, Gtr Manchester.

There are records of a chaplain at or maybe from Chadkirk in 1347. The chapel fell into decay, passed through a succession of owners and was used as a stable. For a time it was used by nonconformists who were ejected during the reign of Queen Anne. It again became neglected and was "in a ruinous condition" until in 1747 it was taken over once again by the Church of England and restored. Further repairs were carried out in 1761 and 1860. In 1876 there was a restoration when much of the furniture was removed. The Chapel was declared redundant in 1971 and was acquired by Bredbury and Romiley Urban District Council. In 1974 local government reorganisation abolished "urban districts" and the area was transferred to the newly created Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council. The Chapel was restored in 1995 and is now open as a visitor attraction.

Show more
Show less
Manchester

Photo details

  • Uploaded on September 2, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Antony Marriott
    • Camera: Canon EOS 50D
    • Taken on 2012/09/01 03:27:17
    • Exposure: 0.003s (1/320)
    • Focal Length: 31.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/5.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: -0.33 EV
    • No flash