Mission San Francisco de la Espada was originaly a Roman Catholic Mission established by Spain before Mexico declaired independance from them. It was built in 1731 for the reason to convert the local Indians to Christianity. It was originaly located at Weches, Texas near the present day town of Alto. There it was established in 1690 by 3 priest and 3 soldiers. But due to many troubles in the area, an outbreak of Smallpox that killed over 3300 people, and severe droubts, all of which were blamed on the Spaniards by the local Native Americans, the mission ended up being moved to its current location.
Sign in to comment.