Martindale Hall, Mintaro, South Australia

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (1)

cheapchippy on September 17, 2012

Martindale Hall is a Georgian style mansion near Mintaro, South Australia built in 1879. The architect was Ebenezer Gregg of London, and the chief supervisor was Adelaide architect Edward John Woods. Due to the specialist nature of the work involved, 50 of the 60 tradesmen used were brought from England, and they returned when it was completed. It was built for a wealthy bachelor pastoralist, 21 year-old Edmund Bowman Jr. However, debt and drought soon forced the Bowman’s to sell all their holdings. William Tennant Mortlock (son of William Ranson Mortlock) bought Martindale Hall in 1892. His son, John Andrew Tennant Mortlock, developed Martindale Station and built up an impressive collection of artwork which was displayed at the Hall. The Mortlock Family bequeathed Martindale Hall and the estate to the University of Adelaide in 1965.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on September 17, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by cheapchippy
    • Camera: NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D3100
    • Taken on 2012/09/16 09:29:58
    • Exposure: 0.005s (1/200)
    • Focal Length: 30.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/8.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups