The Awhina was built in 1884 at Auckland New Zealand. 135 tons gross, 100 ft long x 21.2 ft x 10.4 ft Draught of 10 feet. 5 inches. The New Zealand Herald of 5th December 1885 states: Clear deck space was left fore and aft with commodious cabins so that she was suitable for excursion purposes, while intended for towing. After 50 years of service in NZ, then the port of Fremantle and finaly Albany she was moored at the town jetty where apon she took on water and partialy sunk. After being refloated she was towed out to Gull Rock where a charge was set and exploded afterwhich she was liberaly sprinkled in tar & oil and set alight.