Kvitsøy is the smallest municipality in Norway (in area). Kvitsøy is first mentioned in the Snorre Saga. In 1591 the population had become large enough to fund the raising of a church, which is still standing and the first new church in the county after the reformation. From the mid 18th century Kvitsøy was the location of one of the first navigation beacons in western Norway, and this was later converted to a lighthouse service. To this date it is the home of the region's naval navigation service.
See more Coastal and Oceanic photography from Norway in full storm and in beautiful weather in this PHOTO GALLERY
Greetings from Norway!