was the seat of Governors of the Lübeck municipal City -. The governors monitored the Trave estuary and protected the city of Lübeck from enemy raids and capture vessels, subject to duties and were Lord of the regional jurisdiction.
The oldest parts of the main building date from the late medieval period. Some Gothic brickwork remains have been found. Presumably after a fire, which also includes the bailiff, fell victim in part, 1551, the new building was a two-storey Renaissance brick gabled house. It was probably used as a residence. 1599 the construction of a lateral, smaller house, the so-called "home audience", with its own little crow-stepped gables. 1773 a large, formerly double flight staircase and rococo door was added. The smaller building containing a meeting room.
Prior to the sale of the building by the state of Schleswig-Holstein in private hands, it was used until 2002 as a police station. Also this time will be remembered: A door to the holding cell is preserved. The officers of the 7th Police Department, who worked for decades in the house, could know nothing of the historic ceiling - until the major renovation of the building, in 2006, the false ceiling was removed and discovered the Renaissance covered ceiling. It is unique in northern Germany. The four-meter-high Renaissance covered ceiling shows portraits of Roman emperors and other senior politicians. Also located an image with Double headed Lübeck eagle
Among other interesting findings, in the ground floor of the complex was found an another painted ceiling of special importance that make the complex comparable to the most important historical buildings of Lübeck.
As the area has determined preservation of Lübeck, in the house on the front row # 7 in many other places for more painted beams and ceiling fragments and remains of wall paintings have remained. They show, for example, several characters in a zodiac cycle.
Another highlight is the café in it since 2007. The bailiff should not be a museum, but a place of peace, of quiet enjoyment and conversations. The Old Bailiwick has become a place of culture and to witness the history of Travemünde.