Dover Castle Autumn Sunset from the Golden Lion Pub, Kent, England, UK

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

On the skyline is the Norman Keep (Great Tower), Inner Curtain Wall, and Western Outer Curtain Wall of Dover Castle. Specific structures include: Peverell’s Gateway, Constable’s Gateway (obscured), and part of Colton Tower. On the corner of Priory Street (left) and Priory Place (right) is the Golden Lion public house. Hairdressers next to the pub is Roy’s Mens Cutting Room (@RoysHairDover on twitter and facebook)

Show more
Show less
Save Cancel Want to use bold, italic, links?

Comments (5)

John Latter on October 8, 2012

According to Barry Smith's By the Way, The Golden Lion was "well established" at 11 Priory Street and Priory Place by 1846 and in 1881 was opening at 5 am (!) The pub is a combination of two buildings, that of 3 Priory Place having previously been used as a stable and storehouse, and may be pre-Victorian. Smith also states that after World War II, "Reinstatement of War Damage was permitted in 1949 at a cost of GBP 135" (whatever that means). It was once a Fremlins Brewery pub.

The outer curtain wall of Dover Castle follows the lines of an earlier Iron Age hill-top fort whose main entrance was at the Avranches Gap. It is a Dover Grade I Listed Building, English Heritage site, and a Scheduled Ancient Monument.

Dover Castle appears in the video, "Dover in World War Two: 1942", a ten minute British Ministry of Information film, released by the US Office of War Information, and narrated by the American journalist, Edward R. Murrow.

Photo taken on an evening cycle ride (1) from the Folkestone Road roundabout: B2011 Folkestone Road behind and to the right. A256 York Street Bypass exits the roundabout to the right (passing the New Dovorian Restaurant). Priory Street (with Dover Sea Angling Social Club, St Edmund’s Chapel, and Norman Street) exits to the left, leading to the Town Hall and High Street.

An Urban Dover and Dover History photo.

(1) One lap of Robsons Yard - Eastern Docks - Prince of Wales Pier - Robson’s Yard.

John Latter / Jorolat

Dover Blog: The Psychology of a Small Town

This is the Images of Dover website: click on any blue "John Latter" link to access the Entry Page.

John Latter on October 8, 2012

Dover Castle

Guardian of the 'Gateway to England', Dover Castle displays a solid strength and determination that has obviously carried it through many troubled times. Proudly standing atop the White Cliffs, overlooking this busy port, Dover Castle has withstood the test of time remarkably well throughout its long and eventful history. Dover Castle, as it stands today, dates from the rebuilding work during Henry II's reign, but the site has been of vital importance since the Iron Age. The first castle at Dover was probably an Anglo-Saxon fortress and, on the arrival of William the Conqueror, the existing fortifications were improved with the building of an earthwork castle. This Norman 'motte' (mound) which supported the castle is today known as 'Castle Hill'.

Work began on Dover Castle in the latter part of the 12th century with the construction of the Keep (or Great Tower) - the largest in Britain - and is entered through a forebuilding more substantial than any other built before or since. At each corner of the Keep lies a buttress turret, and mid-way along each wall is a pilaster buttress. Four storeys high, the Keep comprises a basement, first floor, and a second floor that spans two storeys, the upper level of which is a mural gallery that can be seen today at the end of the Great Armour Hall. The second storey provided the royal accommodation, and the first floor, based on a similar plan to the second, contained rooms with a much less elaborate decor. All floors were connected by staircases set in the north and south corner turrets.

Providing the entry staircase, and two chapels, is the magnificent forebuilding. It is interesting to note the decor of the chapels - the lower chapel of a Gothic style, and the upper chapel late Norman and richly decorated. From outside of the Keep, the significance of the three-towered forebuilding can be fully appreciated, as it can be seen travelling along the eastern wall of the Keep and turning at the corner of the southern wall. It was around this stronghold that the concentric castle was developed and work was completed mid-13th century.

Abridged from The English Heritage Trail

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on October 8, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: Canon EOS 600D
    • Taken on 2012/10/06 16:58:10
    • Exposure: 0.010s (1/100)
    • Focal Length: 33.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/8.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups