The squat obelisk is sited to the left of the northern porthole shelters at the point where the pier "jinks" a dozen yards to the right before continuing on to the Harbour View Cafe and Prince of Wales Pier lighthouse. An earlier plaque stood at the Clock Tower entrance. Foundation stone laid by H. R. H. The Prince of Wales K. G. (later Edward VII) on 20th July 1893. Pier opened 1902. A Dover History photo.