Prince of Wales Pier Commemoration Obelisk at Sunset, Dover Harbour, Kent, UK

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

The squat obelisk is sited to the left of the northern porthole shelters at the point where the pier "jinks" a dozen yards to the right before continuing on to the Harbour View Cafe and Prince of Wales Pier lighthouse. An earlier plaque stood at the Clock Tower entrance. Foundation stone laid by H. R. H. The Prince of Wales K. G. (later Edward VII) on 20th July 1893. Pier opened 1902. A Dover History photo.

Show more
Show less
Save Cancel Want to use bold, italic, links?

Comments (6)

John Latter on October 10, 2012

The inscription on the Prince of Wales Pier Commemoration Obelisk reads:

PRINCE OF WALES PIER.

Commenced July 1892.

Completed May 31st 1902.

-

DOVER HARBOUR BOARD

The Marquess of Salibury, K.G.

Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports, Chairman

-

Willian Layton Lowndes, Deputy Chairman

Sir Edward Leigh Pemberton, K. C. B.

Sir William Henry Crundall, Knight.

Sir Miles Fenton, Knight.

George Frederick Fry Esq. J. P.

Henry Peake Esq. J. P.

-

Worsfold Mowll, Register.

-

Coode, Son and Mathews, Engineers.

Sir John Jackson, Contractor.

The other two lighthouses in the photo are:

Dover Breakwater West End Light on the Southern Breakwater (left).

Admiralty Pier Light on the Admiralty Pier, (far right).

Fishing is allowed from the Porthole Shelters onward - see the Dover Sea Angling Association's Prince of Wales Pier webpage (photo of DSAA Clubhouse).

Most of the Dover Cruise Ship photos were taken from this pier.

Part of the English Channel can be seen through the Western Entrance to the right of the breakwater lighthouse.

Recent photos of the Prince of Wales Pier include:

Royal Navy Frigate F78 HMS Kent at Sunrise, Dover Harbour

F78 HMS Kent Frigate and Westland Merlin HM1 Helicopter

A Dover Harbour, Memorial, Pier, and Western Docks photo taken on an evening cycle ride (one lap of Robsons Yard - Eastern Docks - Prince of Wales Pier - Robson’s Yard).

John Latter / Jorolat

Dover Blog: The Psychology of a Small Town

This is the Images of Dover website: click on any red or blue "John Latter" link to access the Entry Page.

John Latter on October 10, 2012

Historical Notes

An article in the Illustrated London News of July 22,1893 described the proposals for constructing the Prince of Wales Pier, extending the Admiralty Pier, and 'moving' the Granville Clock Tower:

The scheme of the Dover Harbour Board, for the accommodation of commercial shipping east of the Admiralty Pier, is being carried into execution by Messrs. Coode, Son, and Matthews, engineers, successors to the late Sir John Coode, by whom the works were designed. There will be a new pier, starting from an open iron viaduct. 1260 ft. long, forming an agreeable marine promenade, which will be approached from the esplanade near the Granville Clock-tower. This involves the removal and rebuilding of the clock-tower. The solid pier, at the end of the iron viaduct, will be of concrete blocks faced with granite, equal in height to the Admiralty Pier, and 1500 ft. in length; its direction at first will be south-easterly, but its outer portion will curve to the south-south-west, approaching the end of the Admiralty Pier, to which an extension of 580 ft. will be added. (1)

Also:

The Prince of Wales Pier was named after Edward VII who, when Prince of Wales, laid the foundation stone in 1892. The Prince of Wales Pier was opened in 1902. The pier had a stone outer end with shipping berths connecting to land by a cast iron section. In 1905 a railway track was laid along the pier to connect with the berths. These berths were capable of accommodating some of the largest ships then afloat as they had a depth of 40 feet even at low tide. Liners of Norddeutscher Lloyd and the Hamburg America Line called here for a short period 1903-1906. (2)

(1) The new Harbour works at Dover

(2) Dover Prince of Wales Pier

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on October 10, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: Canon EOS 600D
    • Taken on 2012/10/04 16:12:05
    • Exposure: 0.006s (1/160)
    • Focal Length: 43.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/9.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups