Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Roma - Piazza del Popolo - Church Santa Maria in Montesanto 1675.

SANTA MARIA IN MONTESANTO , erected over a church with the same name that lay at the beginning of Via del Babuino, and was occupied by Carmelite monks. The name Montesanto (Holy Mountain) referred to Mount Carmel in Israel. The patron was Cardinal Gerolamo Gastaldi, and construction of the present church was begun on July 15, 1662, and finished in 1675, with other additions by 1679. Originally by Carlo Rainaldi, the plans were revised by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, and ultimately completed by Carlo Fontana. A belfry was added in the 18th century. The statues of saints on the exterior have been attributed to Bernini's design. The interior has an elliptical plan, with a dodecagonal cupola. In 1825, the church was made a minor basilica.

In 1951, the Monsignor established a tradition of the Mass of the Artists, where on the last Sunday of October till June 29, a mass is held every Sunday with reading by an artist, and animated by music. At the end of the mass, a prayer for the artists is read.

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on October 12, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Sasa Sofronic
    • Camera: Canon PowerShot A560
    • Taken on 2011/08/02 15:56:31
    • Exposure: 0.004s (1/250)
    • Focal Length: 5.80mm
    • F/Stop: f/7.100
    • ISO Speed: ISO80
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash