New Elbbrücke The correct term is: Neue Norderelbbrücke.
It is the New Bridge over the North Elbe. This term was used to differentiate the 250 meters further west railway bridge of 1872. The first bridge at this location was built between 1884 and 1887. Between 1928 and 1929, a first extension. The bins and plate girder created in fish belly shape after Lohse system, even today (2012) it is still in use.
Between 1957 and 1960 there was a major expansion of the Neue Norderelbe Bridge. Than the neo-Gothic sandstone and back portals have been demolished. Also the fish-belly support has been removed and replaced by a bridge deck. The plate girder from 1929 were left in their places but increased by a total of 2.50 m. Directly adjacent was also a bridge deck created.
The two deck bridges are serving the individual traffic and the bridge of 1929 will serve its public transport. Until 1976 the trams and buses depart from here with this attitude. In the very narrow Hamburger sense, this corresponds together with the Süderelbbrücken Elbbrücken because all road signposts in the city north of the North Elbe are focused on this street and not on the Freihafenelbbrücke.