The Emilio Bridge (Pons Aemilius) or Broken Bridge, was the first stone bridge in Rome. Crossed the Tiber River just north of the old bridge Sublicius. It is usually attributed to the censor Marcus Aemilius Lepidus and Marcus Fulvius Nobilior, in 179 BC, which would have made the piers, but, based on passages of Plutarch and Livy, and a representation of the coin, should instead be attributed to Emilio Manlius Lepidus, in connection with the construction of the Via Aurelia, around 241 BC In 179 BC was rebuilt during the renovation of the nearby river port. In 142 BC Publius Cornelius Scipio, the censors and Lucio Mummius replaced the original wooden bridge of masonry arches. The bridge was restored by Augustus in 12 BC Are also attested in the Middle Ages the names of "Bridge Lepidus" (Lepidi pons) or "Stone Bridge" '(Lapideus pons), the mid-eighth century as "Major Bridge" (pons Maior) and in 1144 as "The Bridge of Senators "(pons Senatorum). In the 1763 guide to Rome by Giuseppe Vasi ("Route instructive to find the ancient and modern magnificence of Rome") is cited as a "bridge of the Santa Maria, told Broken" and it reported the previous designation as a "bridge Senatorial" or "Janiculense bridge." Suffered damage from the floods of the river on several occasions (1230, 1422) and under Pope Julius III in 1552, the arches were completely rebuilt by Nanni di Baccio Bigio. Another flood destroyed it again in 1557. Yet another reconstruction began in 1573 under Pope Gregory XIII, designed by architect Matteo di Castello and was completed in 1575, as shown by surviving arch plaque. The great flood of 1598 had disappeared three of the six arches and the bridge was never rebuilt, taking the name of Ponte Rotto. Between 1853 and 1887 of the metal bridges supported by cables connected the stub axle to the left bank of the river (the project of Pietro Lanciani). Subsequently, the walkway was removed and the two arches nearest to the shore were destroyed during the construction of modern banks of the River. Today is one of the three surviving sixteenth-century arches, resting on the original piers of the second century BC
Palatine Bridge, also known as the English Bridge is a bridge that connects the Tiber Tiber Aventine at Ripa, in Rome, in Trastevere Ripa and districts. Designed by Angelo Vescovali, was built between 1886 and 1890 to replace the destroyed bridge Emilio (or Broken Bridge), named after the Palatine Hill, on whose slopes the infrastructure has been built. The bridge connects the hole Boario in Castellani Square, facing the Tiber Island, the organization is called English because of the traffic was under reversed, as is the custom in the United Kingdom. It has five lights in masonry with metal floor and is about 155 meters long.