The Grand Mosque (Ulu Camii)
Emineddin Mikail, one of the disciples of Rumi and regents of Gıyaseddin Keyhüsrev II, had this mosque built in 1274. Hızır Bey, the first qadi (a judge ruling in accordance with the sharia) of Istanbul, had the mosque repaired in 1440. The mosque was constructed on an area of 1485 square meters. Its roof stands on 67 wooden pillars. Six of these pillars are decorated with motifs. The upper parts of the pillars are ornamented with rosette, palmette, geometric and plant motifs. There are heads from the Byzantine period on the columns. The minbar is a masterpiece. Ibni Mehmed from Khorasan made the woodwork, using joinery technique. In the mosque there are cabinet doors, made by carving walnut wood. Rubber stones and face stones were used to build the walls. There are epigraphs on the right and left door leaves of the mosque. The mosque has four entrances. It is written on the epigraph that the minaret was constructed by Osmanoğlu Hacı Habib in 1409. You can also see good examples of Sivrihisar carpentry in the mosque.