Chlemoutsi or Chloumoutsi or Clermont or Castel Tornese was the main castle of the Principality of Achaia. Constructed between 1220 and 1223 during the era of the Franks by Geoffrey de Villehardouin in Ilia and protected Andravida, and its seaport, Glarentza.
The original name of the castle was Clermont, as named by the French owners. The Greeks called it Chloumoutsi as shown in the Chronicle of Moreas or Chlemoutsi, the name came to us today. At the time of Venetian rule named Castel Tornese, because the Venetians thought there were cutting the currencies of the principality of Achaia, the tornezion.
Chlemoutsi located on a hill approximately 220 meters, a short distance from the sea (about 2 to 2.5 km), the westernmost promontory of the Peloponnese overlooking the Ionian Sea, opposite the island of Zakynthos, in the same area with the port and castle Glarentza (at 5-6 km) and Andravida (somewhere in the 12-13 km), the capital of the Principality of Achaia
(translation from Wikipedia).