Puerta de Palmas
The Puerta de Palmas is located at the Plaza de Reyes Catolicos. It is a monumental gate of the city walls that surround Badajoz. It was finished in 1551 and is one of the monuments that is an icon of the city. The gate consists of two cylindrical towers that are joined by a commemorative arch. The exterior façade has the coat of arms of Carlos V. The interior façade has a small chapel dedicated to Our Lady of the Angels. The towers were used as a prison until the end of the 19th century. This gate served as a triumphal arch for the Kings of Spain.