Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

"Bibi Mariam", Mir Jumla's Cannon,Osmani Uddayan,Dhaka 10/2012

The huge cannon (kamaan) at the Ramna Osmani Udyan Dhaka known as Mir Jumla’s "Bibi Mariam" weighing 64814 pounds. Subehdar Mir Jumla originally placed two huge cannons "Bibi Mariam" and "Kale Khan Jamjam" on both sides of Buriganga river at Swarighat to defend Dhaka's waterfront from Arakan and Mogh pirates. At the time of his conquest of Assam these cannons were taken to fight enemy. It is believed the cannons were built in Dhaka under supervision of Mughal technicians. After the fall of Mughal and occupation of Bengal by British, in the 18th century Kale Jamjam was drowned in river Buriganga. British Collector Mr. Walter in 1832 transported Bibi Mariam to Chawkbazar, the main square. Afterwards in 1957, Dhaka Improvement Trust chairperson Mr. G A Madani moved the cannon to place it at the road junction of DIT Avenue and Bangabandhu Avenue. In late ‘80’s the cannon was moved to its present place in Osmani Udyan. ref.RODAVOO

Show more
Show less
Dhaka

Photo details

  • Uploaded on November 5, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by F. Zaman
    • Camera: Canon EOS 7D
    • Taken on 2012/10/28 01:12:17
    • Exposure: 0.013s (1/80)
    • Focal Length: 24.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/6.300
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash