The Castillo de Santa Bárbara sits high up on Mount Guanapay overlooking Teguise, the old capital and the island of Lanzarote. King Felipe II ordered the castle to be built by D. Sanco de Herrera in the 16th Century as a watch tower to help protect the islanders from pirates and privateers such as Sir Francis Drake who was known as El Draque (The Dragon) to the Spanish.
It is rumoured that a tunnel connects the castle to the town of Teguise below and that the islanders could go to ground when invaded. The castle was later modified after an attack by Arráez in 1586 when more than one thousand residents of the island took refuge there, the engineer Leonardo Torriani proposed changes that made the castle the version that we can still see today.
The castle was restored in 1989 and is now the Emigrants Museum, this castle is in really good order, its interesting to wander around and read the information on the walls and look at the displays pertaining to the emigration of Lanzaroteños to America in the 17th - 19th century. Here you can read about the Canarians that formed the town of San Antonio in Texas and those families ordered by the Spanish Crown to leave for South America. [http://www.lanzaroteinformation.com]