Flying Saucer Fountain, Dover Market Square, Kent, England, United Kingdom

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

The Market Square UFO fountain was removed in October 2012 and a new water feature will arrive soon. Market Place contains Dickens Corner Cafe, 2012 Olympic Games TV Screen and Ellie Cafe Bar, Horse Trough, Museum and Old Market Hall, Discovery Centre. Castle Street at top-right contains the First Granada Cinema building and leads to the White Horse Inn, Old St James Church, Victoria Park, the Zig-Zags, and Dover Castle.

Show more
Show less
Save Cancel Want to use bold, italic, links?

Comments (4)

John Latter on November 13, 2012

In December, 2011, the University of Creative Arts at Canterbury, England, issued a press release stating:

UCA architecture team wins UK competition

A team of students from the University for the Creative Arts (UCA) at Canterbury has recently won the American Institute of Architects (AIA) UK Student Charrette 2011.

The one day design competition, attended by many leading schools of architecture in the UK, was contended by ten teams in Bedford Square, London.

Oliver Froome-Lewis, BA (Hons) Architecture course leader at UCA Canterbury, said: "This is a significant win showcasing the contemporary qualities of our students' approaches, their commitment and their highly productive and collaborative working methods."

On Tuesday, May 15, 2012, Graham Tutthill of the East Kent Mercurt newspaper reported:

New water feature for Dover’s Market Square

The fountain in Dover’s Market Square is to be replaced with another water feature that can be kept open all the time.

The new design, costing £70,000, will feature a raised podium in the centre of the square housing a ring of four low-level bubbler jets, with a central higher jet. They will all have integral lighting.

The project aimed to deliver a "modern simplistic water feature" that celebrated the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and the London 2012 Olympics and enhanced the way the square could be used for all types of events.

It is now November the 13th, 2012, the Olympic Games have been and gone, and work on the new water feature has only recently commenced. Assuming it doesn't get so cold that I decide to wait until next summer, a photo of the new fountain will be uploaded once installation is complete (a link will be added in a subsequent "comment").

The Market Square fountain is tagged under Monument.

An Architecture, Destination, Tourism, Travel, and Urban Dover photo.

John Latter / Jorolat

Dover Blog: The Psychology of a Small Town

John Latter on November 15, 2012

The following paragraphs are taken from plaques located in the Market Square.

In ancient times the Market Square area stood at the mouth of the River Dour, then a wide tidal river. During the Roman period Dover (Portus Dubris) became an important port and garrison for the Roman fleet, known as Classis Britannica. The Romans built a fort below the Western Heights slopes, a little to the west of here, in the 2nd Century AD. In the late 3rd Century this was replaced by a larger garrison fort, built against Saxon invaders.

As the river began to silt up and more land was reclaimed, the old Roman quay and fort which the Romans had abandoned in the 5th Century fell into disuse. In the 7th Century Widred, King of Kent, built a Saxon church, dedicated to St Martin on the west side of the square. This was burnt down by William the Conqueror during his march from Hastings to London in 1066. The church was replaced by a much larger Monastery and Church built by Odo, the Constable of the Castle and Earl of Kent. St. Martin is the Patron Saint of Dover.

The Norman church of St. Martin-le-Grand was so large and important that it embraced three seperate parish churches within its walls. During Henry VIII's Reformation the church was closed and finally destroyed in 1535. Most of the remains were removed in 1892; the last remnants, demolished in 1955, were incorporated into the front wall of the bank (1) on the west side of the Square.

A fair or market has been held in the Market Square since at least 1160, the most important being the annual St Martin's Fair. Dover's Guildhall was built in the centre of the Square in 1605 on wooden pillars, replacing the old Market Cross. The Market was held beneath it. The Guildhall was used as a council chamber and a museum. It was demolished in 1861.

In the Market Place, Dover Corporation had its instruments of punishment and correction - the stocks, pillory and whipping post. It is recorded that in 1588 pick-pockets were taken to the Market Place, had one ear nailed to the pillory and a knife placed in their hand. The pick-pocket could then decide whether to stand and be jeered at, or to free himself by cutting off his ear.

Looking up Castle Street, you can see Victoria Park mansions (see the Gatehouse) below Dover Castle. This crescent of fine Victorian town-houses was built in 1834 as residences for "Military, Naval and Other Gentlemen". Castle Street itself was only begun in 1830 and not opened up into the Market Square until 1837.

(1) The National Westminster Bank (NatWest)

"Flying Saucer Fountain of Dover Market Square" was taken during a cycle ride from Robsons Yard.

John Latter on December 1, 2013

The fountain was removed as described in the first caption, but then the replacement project must have been cancelled because the 'flying saucer' fountain was reinstalled early in 2013.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on November 13, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: Canon EOS 600D
    • Taken on 2012/10/07 09:25:24
    • Exposure: 0.008s (1/125)
    • Focal Length: 24.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/10.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups