The four makedonian tombs excavated by Manolis Andronikos in 1977 are situated under the first hill of the photo. There are a complex of four ancient tombs, between them, those called of Prince, Persephone and the tomb allegedly belonging to Philip II, king of ancient Macedonia and father of Alexander the Great. In the opinion of archaeologists M. Andronicos and N. Hammond at the area of the recent village of Vergina was placed the ancient city of Aiges. In 1980 three more tombs were found under the hill.
Under this hill (the great tumba) is formated a museum with the tombs and all the findings into the tombs, including the golden urn with the sun, symbol of ancient Makedonians. The tombs have memorable facades with ornements and wonderful paintings. Photos inside the museum are not allowed.
Many controversies have been to identify the bones of the third tomb.
In 2010, a study of the bones found in the tomb rejects the case that the bones could be bolonging to Philip III the Aridaio and concludes that these findings are compatible only with Philip II.
At the proximity of the village in archeological excavations from 1937 to 1960 was founded the Royal Palace, something that ensures the opinion that there at the antiquity were Aiges, the capital of the Makedonian kingdom.
(text by C. Theodorou, as a summary from Wikipedia)