Built on a small plateau in the northeast of the province Vrynainas Almyros in height and 370 meters is the Holy Monastery of Kato Xenia. The previous name was "Monastery of St. Nicholas" and was a dependency of the Monastery of Ano Xenia today. It is not known exactly when it was but historical data indicate as the first session of the 13th century.
Since then there have been many renovations because of the disaster that had undergone significant that the Crusaders who burned it down and disasters and raids made by the Catalans in the 14th and 15th century, with the result that can be reconstituted and reconstructed before 1522 as evidenced by the inscription engraved silver case containing two small pieces of the Holy Belt of the Theotokos, Vatopedi Monastery gift.
In 1962 converted into a nunnery. But the devastating earthquake at dawn of 9 July 1980 that took place in the monastery made uninhabitable by the cells and the temple have collapsed. Miraculously survived the nuns as "random" event created a ten-minute delay to the time of the earthquake were en route from the cells to the church.
On November 3, 1983 and after great efforts fraternity founded by new owner Bishop Christodoulos Dimitriados the new monastery, about one kilometer from the old monastery on the hill or Kastraki Kastrouli. A beautiful new monastery with gardens full of roses and ornate buildings.
In the church is the miraculous icon of Panagia Xenia. It is said that owes its name to the monastery that provided great hospitality in the world to visit. But another possible explanation for the locals is that the image of the Virgin Mary came from other foreign monastery and named Xenia.
The image is described as strict Byzantine style. But this contradicts the popular tradition that the icon of Panagia Xenia, work of St Luke. It is made of wax and mastic, "wax and gum," which seems to have been used by the early Christian period.