Sir George Strickland Kingston purchased eighty acres (32 hectares) of land in 1839 in the area now known as Kingston Park. The house was built in two stages, firstly in 1840 and then in 1851. As such it is the oldest building in Holdfast Bay City Council and one of the oldest in the state of South Australia.
In 1840 Kingston leased the premises to fellow Cygnet passenger, Robert Bristow, who began the first hotel in the Brighton-Marino district. Bristow was granted a licence to sell beer and wine in September 1840. Patronage for the inn was expected from fishermen, quarrymen and sailors given the nearby fishing village, newly opened quarry and newly built pier. Management changed hands in late 1841 to Mr Burslem who maintained it as the Marino Hotel and Boarding House until 1843. From then until 1851, Kingston leased the land to farmer Samual Oakley.
In 1851 Kingston undertook extensions and renovations in preparation for this to become his family's seaside holiday abode. Ownership was passed down to his son, Charles Kingston, Premier of South Australia