This well-preserved residence was built for Azelia Ley nee Manning, completed 1923. She didn't move in until 1927 after the death of her husband, John Ley whom she had married in 1900. The Manning family were important settlers in the South Fremantle area, and also held land in other parts of the pre-Australian-federation Swan River Colony. Azelia herself held land further south and at Armadale, east of here near the base of the Darling Scarp. The nearby 'Davilak House', now in ruins, were also part of the extensive family holdings and was Azelia's childhood home.
Azelia (1872-1954) was an interesting character who had few friends and tended toward reclusiveness as she aged. Along with a brother, she suffered from polio when young, and both went to UK for treatment. She spent her later years at 'Manning Tree House' as the Museum was then known, tending stock and garden. She enjoyed rides in a buggy and later, drives in an auto. She was known to have taken pot-shots at trespassers who were shooting ducks on Manning Lake, which was part of her holdings.
The Museum features a collection of contemporary artefacts and farm machinery.