Chow hall, orderly room and radars 1966

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (28)

« Previous12Next »
metcal on October 10, 2010

I remember an accident at the fps 24 search building, the pa modulator cabinet had a bad amp meter so with the door open and interlock bypassed, they had a hand held amp probe connected to a hv bus bar. We had to look at it from a distance. A new guy got too close to it and got 30kv 6amps from his hand up his arm across his chest out the side into his other arm and out his other hand, all in the pattern of a no.5 dice piece. It kicked off the radar set,and smoke from him was in the air. They found him laying in the floor. they rushed im out of there. he did'nt die iwas told. This happened during my 1973-74 tour.

us66bill on October 10, 2010

Thanks for looking metcal. In 1974, I had done my tour in Vietnam, left the AF but rejoined into the reserves at Hamilton AFB. Hamilton was a pristine base but is pretty much destroyed now. Time marches on.

us66bill on October 10, 2010

All you old radar/gatr types check out this site.

amitten on January 8, 2011

My name is Art Mittendorf formerly maintenance officer at Point Arena under Major Morris. I would like to correct some former emails about the site. First, when I arrived at Point Arena, there were no educational courses taught there and I set them up for credit via Santa Rosa community college and taught them at night. Second, Major Morris was relieved while I was there because of an incident involving his son, a navy enlisted person visiting on leave. I am trying to remember Maj. Morris's first name. Thanks.

us66bill on January 8, 2011

You must be Captain Mittendorf. I remember you. I was A2C Webb, GATR Aug.66-Nov.67. I do remember the incident you speak of. The drunken kid got the wrong house after a night at the NCO club and crawled through a window into a child's bedroom. I thin Major Morris was relieved after I left as I don't remember a replacement. I took an algebra course taught by Morris, it must have been after you left. Thanks for setting that up as the course helped me in my career as Sr. Telecom Tech for the state of CA. I don't remember Morris' first name as he was Major or sir to me. I hope you have done well sir. Bill Webb

annemorris51 on July 4, 2012

Major Morris' first name was Loriece. He died September 3, 2007.

Charliewil2 on February 23, 2014

My father was stationed at Point Arena from 1968-69. His name was TSgt Charles Wilson. This was his last Station, he retired in 1969. As a side note I played on the base little league baseball team. One of my teammates was a very young third baseman named Wade Boggs. Now a hall of fame player. His father was also stationed there. Thank you to all the Airmen who gave their time to coach and help us Brats.

Trystero on May 27, 2014

During 1961-'62, my father, Mstr Sgt Walter J. Hlebica, was stationed here, with his family, including myself. Dad worked in the orderly room, and sometimes brought me with him to work from the dependent's housing tract nearby. I remember practicing my typing on one of the orderly room machines, and catching breakfast in the mess hall. On one occasion dependent's were given a guided tour of the radar facility, including the inside of the blockhouse under the dome. Amazing! The station also featured a swimming pool - my first - and a gymnasium/rec facility where we saw movies and held Halloween costume parties. The NCO club was fun too, and a combo consisting of airmen sometimes performed there.

« Previous12Next »

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on March 5, 2008
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by us66bill