Davis County Courthouse Historic Marker, Bloomfield, IA

Not selected for Google Earth or Google Maps [?]

Davis County Courthouse - National Register of Historic Places Ref # 74000779, date listed 19740503

. Bloomfield Town Sq.

. Bloomfield, IA (Davis County)

. Built in 1877 at a cost of $45,201 the Davis County courthouse is an outstanding example of Second Empire architecture with its distinctive mansard roof and dormer windows. The structure measures approximately 97 by 87 feet with walls made of red brick covered by a sandstone veneer. Surmounted by a statue of the "Lady of Justice", the belfry tower raises the total height to over 123 feet. The tower houses the original 1876 Seth Thomas clock and an immense 1878 Kimberley bell that was also rung in the early days as a fire alarm.

. The design was the work of architect T. J. Tolan of Indiana, considered at the time to be the most successful in this style courthouse. The courthouse has grown to become a familiar symbol of Davis County and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. (1)

. References (1) Davis County History

Show more
Show less
Save Cancel Want to use bold, italic, links?

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on December 10, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by chfstew
    • Camera: SONY DSC-HX20V
    • Taken on 2012/09/17 13:01:37
    • Exposure: 0.003s (1/400)
    • Focal Length: 7.72mm
    • F/Stop: f/3.500
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups