In early 1915 a group of Oak Park families began meeting in a home and discussed the possibility of starting a new church. Drawn primarily from five local churches of different denominations, doctrinal considerations figured largely in the formation of the new church. On March 21, 1915, they met for their first Sunday worship service and established Madison Street Church (Calvary's original name). They met in a rented store building at 944 Madison Street, at the corner of Madison and Wisconsin. They started with less than $100, which they used to purchase chairs and hymnals. The founders worked to create a church that would be independent of any denominational ties and faithful to the Bible. The church's name changed to Madison Street Bible Church in 1937. In 1939 an annex was added to the original building. In 1954 an educational unit was built, followed by a Fellowship Hall, classrooms and nurseries in 1962. During those years, in 1959, the church changed its name a second time, to Calvary Memorial Church. In 1968 a remodeling of the sanctuary resulted in a multipurpose building that was used to minister to Bible school children, boys' and girls' clubs, teenagers and adults. Calvary thought it had seen its last building project. But in 1977 a fire destroyed two-thirds of the complex. After two years of renting facilities and negotiations, the current building at 931 Lake Street was purchased from First Presbyterian Church of Oak Park. The facility was dedicated to God on November 4, 1979, with Dr. Billy Graham as the guest speaker.