The Cathedral of Saint Sava or Temple of Saint Sava (Serbian: Храм светог Саве or Hram svetog Save) in Vračar, Belgrade, is the Balkans's largest Orthodox church building. It ranks amongst the ten largest church buildings in the world. The church is dedicated to Saint Sava, the founder of the Serbian Orthodox Church and an important figure in medieval Serbia. It is built on the Vračar plateau, on the location where it is believed that his remains were burned in 1595 by the Ottoman Empire's Sinan Pasha. From its location, it dominates Belgrade's cityscape, and is perhaps the most monumental building in the city. The building of the church structure is being financed exclusively by donations. The parish home is nearby, as will be the planned patriarchal building
Sign in to comment.