This church was founded in about 1212 by Peter des Roches, Bishop of Winchester, as part of a complex of buildings serving as a hostel for pilgrims and a hospital for the sick and elderly. It consisted of an aisled hall (now the ruined nave) and a chapel behind the wall in the east end (the surviving chancel). Medieval hospitals placed the beds in bays in the aisles in sight of the chapel. In 1540 after the Reformation the building was used as an ammunition store and it started to decay. In 1559 the great Elizabethan project to build up the defences of Portsmouth began and the hospital became part of the governor's house where two significant events in the history of the site took place. Firstly was the marriage of Charles II to Catherine of Braganza in 1662 and the second was the grand receptions in 1814 to celebrate the defeat of Napoleon. In the 19th century the artist GE Street was responsible for a ten-year refurbishment and repair programe for the church including a new south porch and vestry, new flooring and specially designed furnishings and memorial windows and this was completed in 1831, and the church took on a 13th century appearance once again. In 1933 the church came into the care of the Office of Works and a firebomb raid in 1941 destroyed the nave which now stands divided from the intact chancel by a modern screen wall.
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Photo taken in Portsmouth, UK
Misplaced? Suggest new location