The old Marshall Field's Department Store building, now a Macy's, is known for its clocks, which weigh about 7.5 short tons (6.7 long tons) each, on its northwest and southwest corners along State Street at both Randolph and Washington Sts. The southwest clock, known as the Great Clock, was installed on November 26, 1897. Marshall Field envisioned the clock as a beacon for his store which he viewed as a meeting place. The clock was installed after the southwest corner of the store had become a popular meeting place and people began leaving notes for one another on the Marshall Field's windows. The clock was an attempt to end this practice, and encourage punctuality.