In the style of great European churches it's the work of the very Rev. Joseph Querat, a canon of Cathedral of Lyons, France, and missionary to Texas 1852-1878. Begun 1867 when Father Querat (with aid of parishioners) bought old Harris County Courthouse to get bricks for foundation; completed 1874. Sacristy and steeple were added 1881-1884 by plans of Nicholas J. Clayton (1849-1916), a leading Texas architect of the late 19th century.
This church is in the National Register of Historic Places