VICTORIA SQUARE : Of the most famous squares in the city center. Around the square and its vicinity, there are homes of the bourgeoisie of Athens of the period 1920 – 1980. Its first name was Kyriakou square, but in honor of Queen Victoria of Great Britain, thanks to which, in 1864 were given to Greece from England the Ionian Islands as a gift for the promotion to the Greek throne of his nephew Prince William George of Denmark, the square is renamed. At the square there is a monumental complex "Theseus saving Hippodamia", known as “the statue”.
The sculpture "Theseus saving Hippodamia" is a sculpture creating maximum artistic value. Considered one of the most important works of outdoor sculpture in the 20th century in Athens. The sculpture was created in 1906 in Berlin by the German sculptor Johannes Pfuhl, (1846 - 1914) and is constructed in the early 20th century, in 1908, by galvanized bronze in a German factory. The entire construction is based on an octagonal marble base, where there is an inscription "Θησεύς σώζων την Ιπποδάμεια - Έργον Ι. Πφούλ". The sculpture, according to Greek myth, depicts the hero Theseus who saves the beautiful Hippodamia, wife of the king of the Lapiths, Peirithos, from the drunken centaur Eurytion. The bronze sculpture was donated to the City of Athens in 1927 and was initially placed in Syntagma Square in Athens, from where he moved in 1938 to its present location in Victoria Square.
Till 1980 there were some of the most famous patisseries of the city, replaced now by fast – foods and coffee – shops. From 1980 and after, all the area is downgraded.
At the square there is a train station. In the first form (1889 – 1926) the railway station was on line Lavrion Square – Strofylia. It was rebuilt and inaugurated on 1 March 1948. The current form dates back to 2004. It is underground and has two side platforms. It belongs to M1 railway (Kifissia – Piraeus). Its construction is very similar to some of the Berlin Metro stations.
Nearby to the square are the National Archaeological Museum of Athens, the National Technical University of Athens, the Economic University of Athens and the area of the Field of Mars.
(Text by C. Theodorou, with add-ons - about the statue and the train station - translated from Wikipedia )