In 1823, Sultan Hussein initiated the building of a Mosque near his residential place at Kampong Glam. It served the Muslim community in Singapore over a century. By 1900s, the Mosque was inadequate to the increasing Muslim population. Sultan Alam Shah, grandson of Sultan Hussein, together with a Tunku Aleema decided to give more land to rebuilt the Mosque. The present Mosque as seen here was commisioned in 1924 with donations from the Muslim community. It was designed by Irish architect Denis Santry of Swan & MacLaren, built in different stages. When war broke out in 1941, the Mosque serve as shelters for all ethic communities. More details of the history can be found from the site location.