In 1935 three years of construction started on the San Remo Towers block of 164 flats, with penthouse and office, over basement garaging for 130 cars, between Sea road and Michelgrove Road. The six entrances are emphasised by surrounds of candy-striped Carter’s faience in barley-sugar engaged columns. The five blocks were identified by faience lettering (A to E and the main entrance) and were partly faience tiled. Facilities for residents included central heating, an auto vac' cleaning system, a resident manager, a porter, daily maid, boot cleaning and window cleaning services. There was a Residents' club with a reading room, card room, billiard room and library, a children's games room, a shop and a restaurant. The rent in 1938 was £96-260 per annum.