The Tybee Island Light is a 154ft (47m) tall building initially constructed to guide marine craft into the Savannah Harbor. It was first completed in 1736, but was destroyed by a fierce storm system five years later. It was consequently rebuilt in 1742 and later in 1773. This lighthouse stood for nearly 90 years before it was destroyed during the Civil War. The fourth building is the current one pictured above. When it was rebuilt, the walls were fortified and in 1933, the light became electric. Today it is owned by the Tybee Island Historical Center and the Coast Guard and is open to the public.