THE SERBIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH of Ascension of Our Lord is situated in the Union Square.
The church was built in brick and stone in Baroque style between 1744 and 1747 as an Orthodox Church serving both the Serbian and the Romanian Orthodox communities. The two towers that can be admired in its upper part were added no sooner than 1791, when ample restoration works were undertaken. After the separation of the Romanian and Serbian Churches in 1865, the church was given to the latter one.
In 1964, the church was included in the list of the historical monuments in Timișoara. Nowadays, it is an important attraction point for tourists, but also for believers, who come here to admire the interior and to feel the special atmosphere.