Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

The Fishermen's Bastion / Halászbástya

The main façade of the Fisherman’s Bastion, running parallel to the Danube, is approximately 140 metres long. The seven stone towers with their pointed tops symbolise the leaders of the Hungarian tribes who settled in the Carpathian Basin in 896. It was built in place of the old fortification walls in neo-Romanesque style between 1895 and 1902 on the plans of Frigyes Schulek, who was also in charge of the reconstruction of the Mathias Church. The Bastion takes its name from the guild of fishermen that was responsible for defending this stretch of the city walls in the Middle Ages.


A Halászbástya fő homlokzata hozzávetőlegesen 140 méter hosszan fut párhuzamosan a Dunával. A hét kőtorony a hegyes tetőkkel jelképezi azoknak a magyar törzseknek a vezetőit, akik 896-ban letelepedtek a Kárpát-medencében. A Halászbástyát Schulek Frigyes tervei alapján 1895 és 1902 között az öreg erődítményfalak helyett építették neoromán stílusban. A Mátyás templom újjáépítését szintén ő irányította. A középkorban az itt húzódó városfalak védelméért a halászok céhe volt a felelős és ezért kapta ez a csodálatos építmény a Halászbástya nevet.

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on February 4, 2013
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by György Janovics