Astros is the seat of the Municipality of North Kynouria in Arcadia. Located in a fertile and extensive plain, has important strategic position. In the 2001 census it had 2,359 inhabitants. The inhabitants engaged in agriculture, olive growing, viticulture and, although in recent years tourism attracts the lion's share of employment of residents.
At the proximity of the city, in the coast there is Paralio Astros, a beautiful fishermen village.
The first official mention of the city with the name "Astros" occurs in the year 1293 at the Golden Seal of Emperor Andronicus II Palaeologus. In this seal the bishop of Monemvasia took office as Exarch of the Peloponnese and established ecclesiastical rights. The previous name (before 1961), as mentioned in various historical sources, was "Agiannitika Kalyvia" because the first of residents came primarily from the mountain village of Agios Ioannis (St. John) of Arcadia.
Astros played an important role at the Revolution of indipendence (1821-1828). On 29 March 1823 there was established the Second National Assembly, by the presidency of Petrobey Mavromichalis to vote on the revision of the first Greek Constitution of Epidaurus.
(Translation from Wikipedia with some add-on by C. Theodorou)