The Lower Gardens were originally set out to a design by a Mr P.H. Tree in 1871. Mr Tree had won a design competition sponsored by Bournemouth Council. Bournemouth Council sponsored a competition for the design of the Lower Gardens after they had acquired the lease to the area ten years earlier from Meyrick Estate. Work started to Mr Tree's design later the same year and most of the Victorian splendour of the garden remains today.