Built by William Batcheller (historian, publisher, printer) in 1826 with Stationery shop, Library (over 5000 books in 1828), Reading room (magazines, reviews, newspapers, etc.), and Assembly room (promenades in the season, quadrille and card assemblies in winter). Now stands on corner of Bench Street and A20 Townwall Street near Roman Severus Gate. Georgian Architecture (ruins). Urban Dover History, Travel, Tourism, and Vacation.